Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Random Day #2

OK- so it is winter here, a.k.a the rainy season. For the first 2 months of this "season," it was sunny (sometimes foggy in the morning) and at the lowest 70 degrees. Starting on 7 January, however, it got cold. It was 72 degrees at the high point of the day and rain started sprinkling now and again. Then, 2 days ago, it started to rain and it hasn't stopped.

In any normal place, this would just suck. Here, in the desert, no one is ready for rain. The city is simply not built for it. Since they don't have a lot of rain over the year, there is no drainage. None. The water floods all the low areas. And due to the huge amount of construction, the sand runs off and creates these muddy wash outs in the roads. On top of that, no one can drive in the rain. They just run their hazards; making it impossible to know when they are turning or merging. Nice. Add on tons of accidents.

Finally, the buildings are not built to withstand any bad weather. Every building, finished or otherwise, flooding as we speak. The electrical systems go bad so now, we add everyone who made it to work, is stuck in an elevator or has no power in the office. Even our glass panel in the front lobby shattered when the wind picked up. It sounded like an explosion. God forbid if this place ever had a hurricane or an ice storm. They have no idea what to do and I find that to be bizarre. It is one thing not to be used to it but they are acting like this never happens, as opposed to occurring every year!

So, I went to work today. It took 40 minutes to travel a distance that normally takes 10 minutes. Then, I went to site- same deal. I did my Technical Room site walk, yelled at people, and called for the driver. I went to the meeting point, immediately regretting the beige shirt I chose this morning. The meeting place has no cover and I wait an hour for the van. In the meantime, the site closes and 9,000 laborers leave site; walking by me in my now soaking wet shirt. I can safely say that I have cemented my place as the Most Popular Girl on site.

My life is one humiliating event after another. Good thing I don't take it too seriously! Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow and we can get in to assess the damage of the nearly finished project. I guess we do not need to test out the building cleaning system for leaks!!

No comments: