Saturday, October 13, 2007

**Illness**

As a general rule, one can get all western items here in Dubai. The UAE is very liberal in its Muslim rules and has made many efforts to accommodate tourists. However, when you get sick here, it is a different story.

I have not gone to the hospital for any ailments yet. I am not sure how sick I would have to be to do that but everyone I know who has gone has had no problems. And, the pharmacy does not have the same regulation as they would in the US so they will sell things like antibiotics over the counter. Being a firm believer in drugs, I support this in some cases.... like if you call a doctor and they tell you what to get. I, personally, have no idea what to ask for so this perk is not so helpful to me.

For all of you who are immediately planning your trips to Dubai to stock up on restricted drugs, stop. They do not have pain killers available anywhere but in the hospital. No one holds up the pharmacy for Oxycontin here. However, that is not what I have an issue with
.... there is no NyQuil here. None. It has alcohol in it so they do not sell it. And they do not sell it in the liquor stores either! This is unacceptable. That is my one tool to fight colds and continue my normal life.

I did get a cold here initially and this is what one of my coworkers gave me for it:
I was too scared to open it (hence the glare from the herbs still inside), let alone take it. The label reads, "CENTURIES OLD HERBAL TEA FOR FLU, COUGH, COLD, CATTARH, IRRITATION OF THROAT AND FEVER IN INSTANT FORM. USAGE: DISSOLVE ONE PACK IN A CUP OF HOT WATER OR TEA AND SIP SLOWLY USE THRICE A DAY"

Umm, no thanks! I am not taking this "thrice a day" for something that cures everything!! Let's all pray that I never get a real cold here.

No comments: