Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Middle Eastern Facilities

I must admit that I am not a worldly person. I am open to all these cultural quirks but I have a problem with the bathrooms here. I was warned that the Middle Eastern Culture considers our bathroom habits to be disgusting. (Now, of course, there is a large part of the Middle East just as "western" as can be, so this seems to be more of tradition here in Dubai) They believe in washing themselves after completion and most private bathrooms have a bidet. Most of the public bathrooms have this hose on the wall. I, being a germ phobic American, find this to be disgusting and therefore, thought that I should share!

I am reminded of the movie, Demolition Man, when Sly comes out of the bathroom and tells them they are out of toilet paper and there are 3 seashells on the shelf where it should be. Everyone laughs because Sly doesn't know how to use the 3 seashells. Turns out that isn't so far from reality!!