Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Church Argument

So, I have been on my best behavior for a month now. I was fine until one of my office mates announced the Google Earth had deeply offended him. Let's get some things straight:

1) I think there is a person like this in every office. They have lots of theories about the world; even more opinions about your life; are super nosy; and usually do very little work.

2) I understand that most people I work with have learned English as a second language. I would not want someone to judge me based on my Arabic so I do question comments that seem extreme.

KOA: "Google Earth has deeply offended you? How?"
OM: "Yes. I am looking at the picture of this city and there is a mosque."
(*Now I am completely confused as he is a practicing Muslim*)
KOA: "Why is that offensive?"
OM: "Because they have labeled it 'Church!'"
KOA: " Oh, I see. Well, there is no need to be offended. In America, it is common to call any place of worship a 'Church.' It's OK."
OM: "No it's only for Christians."
KOA: "Well, OM, I have to answer to 'Na-ah'"
OM: "It does not mean that."
(And so was the day that I introduced the office to Merriam-Webster online, which states: a building for public and especially Christian worship. 'Especially' not 'only' makes me the winner!!)

2 comments:

Craig Bossie said...

It's only because Google Earth was created by Americans and most are too dumb to spell "Mosque" (Mosk?) So our foreign Mosque-goers should be able to gain a smug sense of superiority from things like that.

KOA said...

LOL!! Or they could get over it and focus on things that are way more important. In this globalized world, you need to be less sensitive when people don't act exactly as you expect! Don't worry- there will be plenty more stories about this guy!