Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Movie Edits

OK, I do understand that I have moved to a Muslim country but there is a problem with the movies. They are edited, which normally would be fine. I am used to TV edits for the US. I understand that we use the excuse that we, as a country need to take responsibility to act as parents for people who cannot seem to do it for themselves. (That may actually be a separate post) However, the movie edits here make no sense. Swearing is completely OK. No morally questionable scenes of affection.

Now, I am sure that the O.C. fans can figure out the problem with Luke's father without seeing him kiss another man. But, while watching American Beauty, the guy-kiss is A MAJOR part of the story line. The movie makes no sense. There is a hug and then the Marine shoots Kevin Spacey (which is also fine to show at 10am). I tell myself that it must be that the movies are edited by people who cannot speak English and have no idea what they are saying just cut our scenes by sight alone.
Just don't play the movie at all if you are going to ruin it by removing key violence and morally compromising scenes!!

3 comments:

Vic said...

Arab dudes are ALWAYS kissing each other. Why would they edit this out? I don't get it.... Sheesh. They don't have the same homophobia issues as we do. Do you think it was edited on the AMERICAN side?

KOA said...

I guess when Arab dudes kiss each other it isn't so morally wrong. When characters on the O.C. kiss each other, it is too gay. I must say that I have never seen this movie on American TV so what does that say? The thing that really gets me is that they show "Will & Grace" here all the time. Bizarre.

Vic said...

Oh, the humanity!