Saturday, June 30, 2007

*Die Hard after all this time*

I am back after an extended distractions from work and lack of Internet at the hotel. I would have posted from work but there is some sort of virus recording our keystrokes so I didn't want to risk someone stealing my fabulous web blog. I have lots to tell you so expect many updates.

The most important (and ironic) thing of interest is Die Hard 4. This movie opened in the UAE last night and, as far as I know, it was not edited too much. It was, however, very surreal. First, there was assigned seating; when you buy the ticket, you pick out where you are going to sit. Once you get in the theater, there are ushers. This is great because you can arrive 5 minutes before the movie starts and be guaranteed your seats. However, unexpected.

OK- back to the actual movie. It is an excellent sequel while still remaining a "Die Hard" movie. Bruce Willis saves the United States from terrorists against all odds on Independence Day, all the while making cute comments and sarcastic jokes. Watching this plot unfold while sitting in a theater in the Middle East was weird. In my mind, I can tell myself that not at Arabs hate Americans and want to kill us. At the same time, do we need to make movies that highlight our security weaknesses?!! By the end of the movie, I was better because people were cheering for John McLean as he battled the bad guys. (PS the special effects and stunts in the film were totally out of control!!)

Lastly, they offer 3 kinds of popcorn at the theater: butter, honey, and caramel. I am addicted to honey popcorn. Seriously addicted.

4 comments:

Craig Bossie said...

Welcome back to the blogsphere... How much does it cost to go to the movies in UAE?

KOA said...

It costs 30 dHs, which is $8.17 USD!

Craig Bossie said...

Amazing! Tickets here are $875 ... Dubai really is 3rd world!

vixen said...

mmm...honey popcorn...