Friday, July 27, 2007

The First Trip to Site

Currently, I work off-site- in a nice, air-conditioned office. I go to site to meet with people in air-conditioned trailers. Sadly, I was required to go to yet another safety training yesterday. I went to site with 2 of my colleagues and made my way into the East Ramp and down to the 5th basement of what will eventually be the new terminal of the airport.

Instantly, I stick out. My male colleagues notice. While there are women that work in the offices on site, there is rarely a woman rocking the steel toed and heeled boots, safety vest, and hard hat who is 6 ft. tall and white with blond hair. There are thousands upon thousands of laborers working on this construction site; mostly from Pakistan and India. I met a bunch of them yesterday as I made quite the disruption walking around on site.

My colleagues quickly realize how wonderful this is. We can walk in the road (not on the pedestrian area- which is longer) and they stop traffic for me. I got to cut to the front of the lines for area permits. Crowds of men who have been living in labor camps for years stare and whistle. I have decided that I will not be able to go to site alone. Ever. I am used to people staring but this is the most unbelievable thing I have ever experienced!!

1 comment:

Vic said...

I love the shock factor. You must look like you just got off a longboat from Norseland or some shit.