Monday, July 23, 2007

Semi Charmed Life

I just realized on Friday that I live a very "princess" life. This is made possible by the company- provided accommodations and the tax free country in which I reside. This frees up funding for the fact that I take taxis everywhere and spend a lot of time participating in Dubai's national pastime: shopping.

On Friday, I went to the mall to buy some camping gear (Don't ask) and called for a taxi. A Mercedes shows up and takes me to the mall. Sadly, this is when I realized that my life is not normal. It is fake because there is no way I could afford my lifestyle in a first world country but abnormal for the moment. Last night, I went to get my nails done and again, rode to my mundane errand in a spiffy Lexus!! I am trying to avoid getting used to this as "service" in the US has a completely different meaning.

On a less self-involved note, on Saturday, I became the neighbor of the World's Tallest Building, Burj Dubai. As they completely the 141st floor on Saturday, the "Burj" surpassed T
aiwan's 508m (1,667ft) Taipei 101 Building. They will not say how tall they are making the Burj because there is some industry competition or whatever weird thing architects do to compete with each other. So, if I hear anything, I will be sure you all are the first to know.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Okay, I am new at blogging and just recently (yesterday) started my own on blogger.com. I happened across this blog, saw the picture of a camel, the word Dubai and had to stop to read. I saw the building of the Burj Dubai on television and since crave the opportunity to visit the land (and see the gorgeous ballroom that is being designed by oh crap, I can't remember, whoever the famous designer is). Anyway, I am getting the biggest kick out of reading your posts and sort of feel weird that I don't know you. Anyway, kudos to you for what you do and keeping this blog. By the way, I'm the anonymous on the funny story of the two guys fighting with hard hats. I just couldn't figure out how to log in.

KOA said...

LOL. Welcome to the wonderful world of electronic relationships. You can know people very well and never meet them!! Thanks for the comment though- I am glad that you enjoyed my little stories. Dubai is an excellent place to visit but plan to come anytime that is not summer!